'Spotlight On' pages
The Latest on Dougie MacLean - 17th October 2009
Just 9 days ago Dougie returned from a 3 week tour in the USA & Canada which had him performing in concert from upstate New York to California via venues in Northampton, Ann Arbor, Milwaukee, Grand Marais, Winnipeg and Vancouver! Dougie said of the tour “I covered lots of territory at what was a pretty nice time of year and my double-disc compilation (The Essential Dougie MacLean) was available at each venue. Having released almost 20 albums over the years it was time for a ‘best of’ and the tour coincided with its release in North America on Blix Street Records.”
In the last week Dougie has performed at the Scottish Royal Variety Performance in The Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, been interviewed for for Smooth Radio and for STV news, written a new song, organised some rehearsals for his upcoming 10 day Perthshire Amber Festival www.perthshireamber.com and had a meeting at Edradour Distillery about the recently released “Dougie MacLean’s Caledonia” whisky…and this was supposed to be a recovery week!
Coming up, as well as 9 separate performances at Perthshire Amber (along with a great line-up including Eddi Reader, Beoga, Malinky, Frances Black, Michael McGoldrick, Heid Talbot) is a really busy St Andrew’s Week, with performances in Stirling Castle, at the Homecoming Final Fling in the Clyde Auditorium, The Saltire Celebration and as a special guest at the Edinburgh ceilidh celebration.
A trip to Switzerland and concerts in England round off the year of Homecoming Scotland 2009 for Dougie…a great year for Dougie as well as his song Caledonia! He has gained a kind of cult status in many parts of North America and has been described as "...a Scottish phenomenon...with his exquisite guitar style, expressive voice and honest performance, his songs conjure up remarkably vivid imagery of our world" (The Performing Songwriter, USA). He’s also getting a lot more recognition for his songs and performance in his own (and favourite!) country…Scotland.
- Dougie performed “Caledonia” at Hampden at Scotland’s first world cup qualifying match to 140,000+ fans. He also performed at Murrayfield stadium at the opening of the Edinburgh Youth Games to 1,600 enthusiastic schoolchildren!
- Dougie’s two concerts (Glasgow Royal Concert Hall and City Hall) at the Celtic Connections Festival 2009 were sell-outs and were recorded by both BBC TV and Radio Scotland.
- Dougie toured in Australia in Dec 08/Jan 09 including the immense Woodford Festival (audience 140,000) where he was the artist with the top CD sales!!!
- Dougie recently received a prestigious Tartan Clef Award… along with Beecake, The Almighty, Sharleen Spiteri, Eddi Reader and The Fratellis.
- Dougie’s song Caledonia has been adopted as the theme song for the ‘Homecoming Scotland’ initiative and features in a TV & cinema advert which stars Sean Connery, Lulu and other Scottish celebs.
- The Dougie Band 20-date tour in the USA in 2007 (performing at prestigious venues and festivals including the Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Kate Wolf Festival, Interlochen Festival and Britt Festival…) was such a success that a 2010 tour is being planned.
- Dougie’s song Caledonia is currently taking the USA by storm yet again as the final song of the show Celtic Thunder. Their DVD reached No 1 in the Amazon Music DVD charts. This follows Caledonia being featured in the hit musical show Celtic Woman which is currently touring internationally and his melody The Gael being used in a Nike advert that has had over a million views on YouTube!
- The Essential Dougie, a double-disc compilation spanning 25 years, has had remarkable sales in the UK and is planned for North American release in September 09.
- Perthshire Amber- The Dougie Festival, now in it’s 5th year, has grown to a 10 day event. With enthusiasts for the music from all over the world flocking to Perthshire in the autumn, the festival is now an integral part of Scotland’s musical calendar and supported by EventScotland, VisitScotland, Perth & Kinross Council and Scottish Enterprise.
- Dougie’s music regularly features on over 300 radio stations in the USA NPR award winning “Thistle & Shamrock” hosted by Fiona Ritchie…where Dougie was voted best male performer.
|©scottish-folk-music.com 2011 Web design by - Alan Copeland|